Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Doomsday Preppers

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Doomsday Preppers

New show on National Geographic channel airing on Tuesdays.

Anyone else watching it?

It is an interesting show and I will say a number of these people are pretty well prepped. Fairly impressed with the food stores of a lot of the people on there. I'm slowly working on mine!

A couple things I didn't appreciate about the show...

1) If one of the interviewees made an erroneous statement, they would throw up a caption just blatantly trying to shoot down the prepper while not informing the audience about something similar to what the prepper was talking about to help them correctly get their point across.

Perfect example of this was when the foodie prepper made a claim about cocoa has increased 300%, NatGeo put up a caption that cocoa has actually dropped 30%. They didn't really give any details to their counter caption nor point out how many foodstuffs have actually gone up 20%-30% in the last couple years alone.

2) The scenarios for each of the prepper groups ranged from EMP to economic collapse/hyperinflation to pole shift. It seemed that in almost every scenario the preppers stated NatGeo tried to minimize the chances of one of those events happening. Rather than doing that, they could have chosen to point out to viewers that although those may have been the main motivation for those individuals, their preps would be suitable for other events as well.

Oh and a big LAWLZ! to the group of New England liberals they showed. I was literally . If you watch it, you'll know what I mean.

Thanks

Default Re: Doomsday Preppers

Since I don't have cable, and don't watch TV I haven't seen this.

But it sounds like something I'd be sitting at home yelling at the television over anyway.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

why would you stock up on cocoa?

Thanks

Trading material.

Sugar, Cocoa, Coffee, Tea, Tobacco, silver, gold, gems/jewels, guns, ammo....

Bullets, even .22 cal rounds might become "money" in a sense.

"Two .22 bullets for a gallon of water" or something like that....
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

In addition to what Rick posted, she was a "foodie" and liked to make fancy dishes out of food not requiring refrigeration. She also said it was a comfort food.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Donaldson View Post
    Trading material.

Sugar, Cocoa, Coffee, Tea, Tobacco, silver, gold, gems/jewels, guns, ammo....

Bullets, even .22 cal rounds might become "money" in a sense.

"Two .22 bullets for a gallon of water" or something like that.
    Stop right there.

Never, EVER, trade firearms and ammunition.

You are potentially arming your murderer.

Here's how it works.

You know Bob from down the street. He's been a pal for a long time. He's short on some ammo and wants to rabbit hunt. No biggie, so you give him 50 rounds of .22, he gives you some canned beans.

Bob fully intended to go rabbit hunting but he felt a sore throat coming on. Bob sends his wife down to the open air market and she meets George who trades 50 rounds of .22 for some Vicks and some Cepocal throat lozenges.

A few hours after Bob's wife leaves, Charles shows up looking to buy some ammo for his .22. He trades George a couple watches and a cheap necklace for 50 rounds of .22.

Later that night, Charles, who's been casing Bob's house for weeks, notices that Bob isn't up like normal. He sneaks in a back door and when Bob rouses, Charles plugs 3 rounds into Bobs skull, puts 3 into the wife and holds the 14 year old daughter at gun point until he's done raping her, then he puts 3 in her head too. Afterwards, he goes through bob's things and finds a couple watches and some cheap jewelery. What a score. He also found some canned beans, more .22 ammo and a ton of other canned food and got his wick dipped. All in all a good day.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Never, EVER, trade firearms and ammunition.

You are potentially arming your murderer.
    You and *I* know this Mal... I wasn't suggesting this was the RIGHT thing to do, I was suggesting it was precisely what WILL happen.

There will be people who eventually DEMAND nothing less than firearms, bullets, gun powder etc for exchange of things others want.

A market place, be it a store or a barter economy will decide what people want in payment for something others want.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

My wife is a "foodie" then. hehe. She is someone who 1) has been diligently working on various types of foods and dishes that can be created with food that doesn't require refrigeration, and 2) she likes to make nice meals that LOOK and taste good.

Me, I slap stuff together quickly and it tastes ok, is nourishment and doesn't LOOK nasty. I don't go to the trouble of making tomatoes look like flowers or something - whereas my wife will.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

My only "foodie" is cutting radishes with an x, puting them in cold wate till they open.

We have a good food supply. Water seems to be a touchy subject. I hate to buy bottled water, so we keep alot of empty 2 liter bottles around. So I will probably be standing at the sink filling bottles while watching the growing mushroom cloud in the south.

Ammunition is not on the list of tradable items. I agree that I would not like to arm my killer.

When the barter system comes back in power I can only hope to be entertaining. Guess I can find a mule and go full Postman.
    "Still waitin on the Judgement Day"

Where it's quiet, peaceful and everyone owns guns
    Thanks

Companion Threads:

The Nightline hit piece against white middle class America that ties in with DHS: Extremists to call the followers of the Preppers movement Terrorists.

Doomsday 2012: 'Preppers' Prepare for Worst, Turn a Profit

Tim Ralston trains his children in the use of firearms so they are prepared for doomsday. (Courtesy of Nat Geo/Sharp Entertainment/James Calla)

By DAVID WRIGHT (@abcdavid) and COLE KAZDIN
    Feb. 6, 2012

The never-ending hysteria over a Doomsday cometh has sparked a growing movement of people called "preppers," who prepare for the end of the world as we know it -- and in some cases, make a profit.

Tim Ralston, a married father of two from Arizona, is one such "prepper."

"There's a lot of different things that could happen," Ralston said. "For me, I look at prepping as kind of like insurance. You have car insurance, health insurance, life insurance."

Call it Apocalypse insurance. Ralston turned his family's two-car garage into a staging area. Inside is a trailer, which he keeps packed and ready to go at all times, stockpiles of freeze-dried food, including cartons of canned chicken with a shelf life of 15 years, survival gear, such as a system for purifying polluted water, first aid kits and lots of weapons and ammunition. His son has his own AK-47.

"In the beginning, my wife really wasn't on the same page as I was," Ralston said. "But in reality, the more information I started to give to her, it opened up her eyes to the other potential threats that are out there."

Once a week, Ralston takes his two sons out into the Arizona desert about 30 minutes away from their Scottsdale home for a Doomsday dress rehearsal. Eventually, Ralston said he plans to use a converted shipping container to build an underground shelter in the desert, filled with everything they would need to survive.

"You just never know," he said. "I have a lot of other religious friends that say, 'I don't want to prepare, I'll just go to heaven.' And I say, 'Well, do you know what it's like to starve to death?' It's not a pleasant thing. God put you on this Earth for certain things, and for me it's to make sure my family lives and I can help other people."

Ralston is just one of several people featured on National Geographic's upcoming series, "Doomsday Preppers," which premieres on Tuesday, Feb. 7 at 9 p.m. ET. Other participants include a couple from Texas who live off the grid, filter their own water, have a stockpile of canned goods to feed 22 people for years and have converted school buses into getaway vehicles.

There's also a New England mom, Kathy Harrison, who calls herself the Doris Day of Doom.

"I'm preparing for a black swan event like a catastrophic new Madrid earthquake," she said.

Harrison and her husband Bruce don't fit the survivalist stereotypes. They aren't stockpiling weapons. Instead, she keeps bees.

"In a grid down situation those bees become not just food for us, but they become honey that we can barter for," Harrison said. "Those bees are the essence of resilience for us."

Paranoia over the world coming to an end is part of the zeitgeist now.

Chevrolet ran an ad during the Super Bowl, about a post- apocalyptic world in which only people who owned the Chevy Silverado pick-up truck survived. Even TV comedies like "Parks and Recreation," have had fun with the Doomsday frenzy.

Some people fear that humanity's downfall will come from our dependence on technology and fossil fuels, which could fail us or run dry and we will be forced back into the Stone Age, "Mad Max" style.

Others are convinced the Mayans had it right and that our day of reckoning will come on Dec. 21, 2012, and we'll simply run out of time.

Of course, we've been here before. Harold Camping, the president of Family Radio, a California-based Christian radio broadcast, proclaimed that Doomsday was upon us first back in 1988, then in 1994 and then most recently for May 21, 2011, all of which came and when without so much as a frog falling from the sky.

But there are enough people believing the end is nigh that few have been able to turn Doomsday into an entrepreneurial business opportunity. Last year, "Nightline" profiled Robert Vicino, a real estate agent in the process of converting a Cold War bunker in the Mojave desert into a luxury modern shelter with several condo units for sale.
    "It's Noah's Ark," Vicino said at the time. "It just happens to be underground."

It will be fortified against the unthinkable, he said, complete with a hospital and a movie theater. At $50,000 per person, and long before it's even done, the shelter is already almost sold out. Vicino is nearing completion on another shelter in Indiana that will be big enough to house 80 people. It too is almost sold out.

"We hope to have 20 facilities done by 2012," he said. "But beyond that, we're looking at doing 20 in China, three in Taiwan, Romania, Russia, everywhere. People are coming at us from everywhere."

Tim Ralston also has made a small business venture out of his disaster-preparedness. He doesn't just stockpile his stuff, he sells it through his online outdoor and survival store.

Geared up for anything, and making a profit off it too.

Nikita Khrushchev: "We will bury you"
    "Your grandchildren will live under communism."
    “You Americans are so gullible.
    No, you won’t accept
    outright, but we’ll keep feeding you small doses of
    until you’ll finally wake up and find you already have communism.

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll
    like overripe fruit into our hands."

Thanks

Yeah, we should set up survival equipment to sell too... we could be rich!

lol

You know, I don't think the world is going to end. Not by a long shot. But the human race COULD end itself. THAT is the only fear I have.

Even if a total economic collapse occurs, followed by military invasions of the USA, the human RACE will continue. Even Americans will continue. There will still be people.

I don't foresee the "end of the world" being a global calamity (except if it is a rogue asteroid).

I don't see any of our "preparations" as being bad, dumb or stupid - or even "with terrorist intent". I see them as part and parcel of being human, understanding one's environment (Whether that is a forest, desert or urban area) and what to do, how to survive and stay alive until you can get to a safer place or get help.

The truth is - and this is probably difficult for most people to grasp, humans have been here for a very, very long time (more than 200,000 years) and they probably aren't going to go away easily.

The planet has been here for 9 to 13 billion years and will remain here until the Sun gives out a last gasp and becomes a red giant (at which time Earth will be enveloped by the sun) - about another 13 billion years.

A long, long time.

People are here for a mere century, or less, and we only grasp those things we can see or feel ourselves. Sometimes we fail to extract information from history that will save us.

I point out that we are our own worst enemy - and likely dying by the hands of others (other races, other countries) isn't at all out of the question. But a great planetary upheaval just isn't in the cards - or the Mayan Calendar.

But, there is NOTHING wrong with knowing how to shoot, catch fish, prepare an animal for consumption, grow food or FEEL SAFE.

If folks feel safe by building underground bunkers, then LET THEM, don't accuse them of being terrorists.

If someone wants to make money - LET THEM. It's a free country.

I guess it just irks me that so many make fun of these folks... and sometimes they aren't all there, but for the most part, the "Survival Community" is made of people just like each and every one on this site.

Not ONE of you can sit back and say "I have no idea what to do if such and such happens". Whether you learned it here or on a similar site, my guess is that ever single person here has skills to survive and probably the mentality to do so and NOT ONE OF YOU thinks it is "stupid, dumb" or a laughable thing do you?

So - these tv shows are full of shit and appear (from what Ryan said) to want to make "Preppers" look stupid.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Donaldson View Post
    So - these tv shows are full of shit and appear (from what Ryan said) to want to make "Preppers" look stupid.
    Well, it could have been done better but, they could have made it a lot worse than they did.

Quote Originally Posted by vector7 View Post
    Doomsday 2012: 'Preppers' Prepare for Worst, Turn a Profit

There's also a New England mom, Kathy Harrison, who calls herself the Doris Day of Doom.

"I'm preparing for a black swan event like a catastrophic new Madrid earthquake," she said.

Harrison and her husband Bruce don't fit the survivalist stereotypes. They aren't stockpiling weapons. Instead, she keeps bees.

"In a grid down situation those bees become not just food for us, but they become honey that we can barter for," Harrison said. "Those bees are the essence of resilience for us."
    Ha ha! Those are the New England Libs I mentioned.

Also, anyone who watched the first episode like the sound those .22s made?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Ruck View Post
    Ha ha! Those are the New England Libs I mentioned.
    I watched all the episodes last night and you are so right!

Those Libs won't make it past a month of SHTF unless some nice Mil folks show up first.

They need to rent "I am Legend", "Book of Eli", "The Road" and study.

No, you won’t accept

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll

Thanks

Or read Alas, Babylon and what happened to the Doctor.

Thanks

I dunno... I think I'd trade stuff for honey. Since I know how to make mead from it.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Honey is a great antiseptic.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Especially when you ferment it into alcohol!
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Ruck View Post
    Or read Alas, Babylon and what happened to the Doctor.
    Yes indeed....

Doomsday Prepper has his guns confiscated by the State of TN...

It appears that Dsarti...the big, former truck driver, who appeared on the NatGeo show Doomsday Preppers, has been forced into the healthcare/psychiatric system in Tennessee.

He had his guns taken away from him just days after appearing on national television.

He has subsequently given up on prepping...and has stopped making youtube videos.

No More Prepping for Me

The State of Tennessee and a Cardiologist have ended the need for me to prep.

To a person of my political beliefs this might as well be a life in prison sentence.

I can now no longer work with the schools or target practice with my guns (one of the few sports I could still do) Therefore Prepping for me has come to a end, as everyone knows there is no since putting up food and other things without a means to defend them.

I CAN NOT AFFORD an attorney and the only person who can expunge the record wont (the Governor of Tennessee) I do not know when or if I will be able to return at this time. For the record the doctor/ prick who raped me is Andre C. Olivier, M.D. http://www.sths.com/cardiac/drinfo.p...ndre-C-Olivier

farwell for now

David Sarti
    Lebanon TN

- - - - - - - - -

In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material in this post is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes…

No, you won’t accept

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll

Thanks

Poor guy. Fooked over by the state.
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

As usual.

Ok. I'm confused then. Did he have some other underlying problems that caused this and was brought to light by television?

What's the rest of the story to this?
    Libertatem Prius!

Thread Information