Thread: Terra Nova On Fox

Repeatedly Redundant...Again
    Thanks

Default Terra Nova On Fox

I watched this today, and it sucked: http://www.fox.com/terranova/

They should have just named it Teenage Angst In 25 Million B.C.

I'll probably watch the next installment, but if it's as bad as the first, I'm finished with it.

Thanks

Default Re: Terra Nova On Fox

i recall a similar show a few years back so i didnt bother checking this out.... glad i didn't!

Thanks

Yeah, it was pretty bad, filled with cliches.

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Watched it too. I didn't think it was too bad. I'll give it a couple episodes to get it's legs.

Of course, it is a SciFi show on Fox so I'm sure it will be cancelled after a couple episodes and we won't have to worry about it.

Super Moderator and PHILanthropist Extraordinaire Phil Fiord's Avatar
    Thanks

I dunno. It was campy, but watchable. I kind of figure it will weigh out better in time. I will give it a chance to try. Kind of sad it didn't just wow like Walking Dead, though.

Still, a first ep has to introduce main characters and that may be was lagged this first ep. It is pretty different in what it portrays.

Thanks

Yeah, I didn't think it was too bad. I'm a little worried that most of the main characters appear to be teenagers, so the target audience might be a tad younger than I was hoping.

Thanks

I dunno. There has to be a broad appeal for ages in this kind of show. While there was certainly the teen circumstance and transposed sneak out and oops scenario, there was adult character development. The interaction of Mom and Dad and with their kids. The CO of the compound with them as well as the 6ers. The odd drawings at the falls ought to yield a bizarre circumstance sometime.

Also, I felt the Dad Son angst was high on the BS detector, as it seemed acted, not real in presentation.

Thanks

I caught a repeat of the opening episode. Family drama meets Jurasic Park. I was unimpressed with not-too-deep story line, the teen-angst drama. And it also seemsto rip of "Lost" insofar there's a mystery to the land, the "others" to name a few. By the end I was rooting for the dinosaurs.

I'll likely watch further to see it it develops and matures, but I'll secretly still be rooting for the raptors.

Thanks

I taped the other day and watched the second installment.

Lame.

As we've mentioned, still more teenage angst.

Doubtful I'll waste more of my time.

Thanks

Well I wasted some more time, hoping it would improve.

It didn't.

That show sucketh mightly.

Thanks

Brannon Braga is an executive producer, enough said. He destroyed Star Trek.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catfish View Post
    Brannon Braga is an executive producer, enough said. He destroyed Star Trek.
    Ahhhh... I bet that is the problem! Would explain everything.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Ruck View Post
    Watched it too. I didn't think it was too bad. I'll give it a couple episodes to get it's legs.

Of course, it is a SciFi show on Fox so I'm sure it will be cancelled after a couple episodes and we won't have to worry about it.
    They do have a history of doing what you said. It's been preempted at least inxs by baseball and now I noticed a new episode is playing on Saturday. Sound familiar? Cough, Firefly, cough. I've read that Terra Nova was ordered for a season ahead of any pilot being aired. Post production is twice as long as usual and they took a chance the show would do well and ordered something like 13 episodes. As of right now I can't foresee a second season, this show is pretty bad.

Thanks

Though a weak show, I do find it decent for idle watching. No need to pay close attention and if you need to get a potty break or a dessert dish, no commercial break is needed.

Thanks

Rather watch repeats of the news, or cooking channel, or Gold Fever, or, well, you get the drift.

Thanks

I have watched most eps of this show and the finale was actually good imo. Easy watch, nothing was wayyyyyy cool, but was worth it to me as its free.

Thanks

The show kinda sucks, but the doc is gorgeous.

Thanks

+1 to that Backstop.

I did think the finale was better than the rest of the episodes.

As of a couple days ago, I was looking at TV By The Numbers and they are surprisingly still saying Terra Nova is a toss-up for renewal or cancellation.

Thanks

Well, saw this coming a mile away...

Steven Spielberg's Dinosaur Series Terra Nova Canceled
    March 6, 2012

Fox has chosen to send the dinosaur drama Terra Nova from executive producer Steven Spielberg and starring Jason O'Mara into extinction after dragging out a decision regarding its fate since the Season 1 finale in December of last year.

Terra Nova was originally billed as one of the highest profile new pilots and shows last fall, a lavish and expensive science fiction serial drama with dino-sized visual effects and extensive sets built entirely on location in Australia. Fox went all-in on the production with Steven Spielberg's name attached, even bringing in Stephen Lang in a manly role reminiscent of his turn in James Cameron's Avatar.

Ultimately Terra Nova was not a cheap show to produce and it failed to attract the kind of domestic ratings Fox was hoping for. The two-hour pilot alone is said to have cost Fox around $14 million to produce. The 11-episode first and currently only season pulled in an average of 7.5 million viewers per episode, 2.6 million of those falling in the 18-49 demo that ultimately determines a show's fate. The final nail in the coffin was the two-hour series finale that put up the lowest ratings of them all: 7.2 million viewers and a 2.1 in 18-49.

Terra Nova performed better overseas which currently is the last string of hope for the show to go on. Fox is reportedly shopping it to other networks with the international appeal as the main hook. To get production underway in a timely manner, someone would have to scoop up the rights quickly and get the ball rolling. Stars Stephen Lang and Jason O'Mara are already locked in for a second season materialize elsewhere; however, other members of the cast are already starting to lock into other roles for the fall, and each one that jumps ship lessens the likelihood of Terra Nova emerging elsewhere.

Terra Nova executive producers Brannon Braga and Rene Echevarria have openly talked about having ideas for a second season, ideas they already shared with Fox as part of the potential renewal process. Fans of the show were also behind a second season, even petitioning online for the show to go on - aided by star Jason O'Mara who has been very vocal about pushing for a renewal on Twitter.

In the end, no amount of lobbying or petitions could save Terra Nova at Fox, and its now just as extinct as the dinosaurs that co-starred in it.

Thread Information