Thread: When Reposting Web Content...

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default When Reposting Web Content...

Just wanted to give an FYI for when posting web based content to the board…

When posting things such as articles and items directly from websites, it is important that it be posted in one of a couple ways.

The first way is to change from the WYSIWYG style message editor to the text-based message editor and, then copying your article into it. To change editor styles, simply click on the button in the upper right hand of the message editor that has the two different styled letter "A's". This will ensure that the article is copied over as plain text. You will then have to go and make the appropriate style changes that you wish to have the article resemble the original if you so wish (links, font styles, colors, etc.).

The second way is to copy your article to a text editor such as Windows Notepad prior to copying it to the WYSIWYG editor. Again, you will have to manually recreate the style of the original article if you want to.

If you have an article that uses such content as tables or pictures imbedded in the article, it is best to view the articles HTML source code and copy the source code directly into either the WYSIWYG or text based message editor (HTML is allowed on the board!). To view the source code for an article, you can usually click on "View" in your toolbar and then click on an option such as "View Page Source" or some similar choice. If you need help with this, PM or e-mail me and I will assist.

Personally, I first copy the article or write the post I wish to make in Microsoft Word. I then copy and paste the article to Windows Notepad. I then copy and paste the article to the message board WYSIWYG editor. This allows me to spell check my post, change to plain text, and then post to the message board.

I am making an official announcement on this only because, in the last week, I have seen a number of articles that have been copied from other websites and then posted here only to have a bunch of smilie faces and odd words/characters inappropriately interspersed throughout. I do not know what causes this problem but, doing one of the above will prevent such things.

If possible, I would appreciate that those who have made posts suffering from such a problem take one of the above steps to fix their posts to help with readability issues.

Thanks!

Thanks

Default Re: When Reposting Web Content...

Ryan,

Definately agree.

Too many articles get "interpreted" with smiley's. The only other option is to disable them, which I know is possible via forum options, but let's not. They are useful enough to set tone.

-Mal

Thanks

Default Re: When Reposting Web Content...

I agree too. I should also mention that links MUST be provided to any article written by someone outside of this site. This helps us avoid copyright infringements. Most vets here already know this but for those new to the forum experience you should try to emulate the moderators on their posting habits. You'll find that it'll become habit quickly.
    Brian Baldwin

Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil.... For I am the meanest S.O.B. in the valley.

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out." - Tony Blair on America

It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.

-Father Denis O'Brien of the United States Marine Corp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thread Information