Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caught Spying on Student, FBI Demands GPS Tracker Back

Thanks

Default Caught Spying on Student, FBI Demands GPS Tracker Back

Caught Spying on Student, FBI Demands GPS Tracker Back

A California student got a visit from the FBI this week after he found a secret GPS tracking device on his car, and a friend posted photos of it online. The post prompted wide speculation about whether the device was real, whether the young Arab-American was being targeted in a terrorism investigation and what the authorities would do.

It took just 48 hours to find out: The device was real, the student was being secretly tracked and the FBI wanted their expensive device back, the student told Wired.com in an interview Wednesday.

The answer came when half-a-dozen FBI agents and police officers appeared at Yasir Afifi’s apartment complex in Santa Clara, California, on Tuesday demanding he return the device.

Afifi, a 20-year-old U.S.-born citizen, cooperated willingly and said he’d done nothing to merit attention from authorities. Comments the agents made during their visit suggested he’d been under FBI surveillance for three to six months.

An FBI spokesman wouldn’t acknowledge that the device belonged to the agency or that agents appeared at Afifi’s house.

“I can’t really tell you much about it, because it’s still an ongoing investigation,” said spokesman Pete Lee, who works in the agency’s San Francisco headquarters.

Afifi, the son of an Islamic-American community leader who died a year ago in Egypt, is one of only a few people known to have found a government-tracking device on their vehicle.

His discovery comes in the wake of a recent ruling by the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals saying it’s legal for law enforcement to secretly place a tracking device on a suspect’s car without getting a warrant, even if the car is parked in a private driveway.

Brian Alseth from the American Civil Liberties Union in Washington state contacted Afifi after seeing pictures of the tracking device posted online and told him the ACLU had been waiting for a case like this to challenge the ruling.

“This is the kind of thing we like to throw lawyers at,” Afifi said Alseth told him.

“It seems very frightening that the FBI have placed a surveillance-tracking device on the car of a 20-year-old American citizen who has done nothing more than being half-Egyptian,” Alseth told Wired.com

Afifi, a business marketing student at Mission College in Santa Clara, discovered the device last Sunday when he took his car to a local garage for an oil change. When a mechanic at Ali’s Auto Care raised his Ford Lincoln LS on hydraulic lifts, Afifi saw a wire sticking out near the right rear wheel and exhaust.

Garage owner Mazher Khan confirmed for Wired.com that he also saw it. A closer inspection showed it connected to a battery pack and transmitter, which were attached to the car with a magnet. Khan asked Afifi if he wanted the device removed and when Afifi said yes, Khan pulled it easily from the car’s chassis.

“I wouldn’t have noticed it if there wasn’t a wire sticking out,” Afifi said.
    Later that day, a friend of Afifi’s named Khaled posted pictures of the device at Reddit asking if anyone knew what it was and if it mean the FBI “is after us.” (Reddit is owned by CondeNast Digital, which also owns Wired.com).

“My plan was to just put the device on another car or in a lake,” Khaled wrote, “but when you come home to 2 stoned off their asses people who are hearing things in the device and convinced its a bomb you just gotta be sure.”

A reader quickly identified it as an Orion Guardian ST820 tracking device made by an electronics company called Cobham, which sells the device only to law enforcement.

No one was available at Cobham to answer Wired.com’s questions, but a former FBI agent who looked at the pictures confirmed it was a tracking device.

The former agent, who asked not to be named, said the device was an older model of tracking equipment that had long ago been replaced by devices that don’t require batteries. Batteries die and need to be replaced if surveillance is ongoing so newer devices are placed in the engine compartment and hardwired to the car’s battery so they don’t run out of juice. He was surprised this one was so easily found.

“It has to be able to be removed but also stay in place and not be seen,” he said. “There’s always the possibility that the car will end up at a body shop or auto mechanic, so it has to be hidden well. It’s very rare when the guys find them.”

He said he was certain that agents who installed it would have obtained a 30-day warrant for its use.

Afifi considered selling the device on Craigslist before the FBI showed up.

He was in his apartment Tuesday afternoon when a roommate told him “two sneaky-looking people” were near his car. Afifi, already heading out for an appointment, encountered a man and woman looking at his vehicle outside. The man asked if Afifi knew his registration tag was expired. When Afifi asked if it bothered him, the man just smiled. Afifi got into his car and headed for the parking lot exit when two SUVs pulled up with flashing lights carrying four police officers in bullet-proof vests.

The agent who initially spoke with Afifi identified himself then as Vincent and told Afifi, “We’re here to recover the device you found on your vehicle. It’s federal property. It’s an expensive piece, and we need it right now.”

Afifi asked, “Are you the guys that put it there?” and the agent replied, “Yeah, I put it there.” He told Afifi, “We’re going to make this much more difficult for you if you don’t cooperate.”

Read More http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...#ixzz11mpSZmkj
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Caught Spying on Student, FBI Demands GPS Tracker Back

As much fun as it would be to play games with putting the device on a FedEx truck, don't forget who this was! This guy seems to have some pretty shady connections.

Repeatedly Redundant...Again
    Thanks

FBI needs to hide their shit better.

Thanks

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/gaming....student.wired/

Afifi, the son of an Islamic-American community leader who died a year ago in Egypt...
    Umm, odd... How'd that happen?

One of the agents produced a printout of a blog post that Afifi's friend Khaled allegedly wrote a couple of months ago. It had "something to do with a mall or a bomb," Afifi said.
    Afifi's father, Aladdin Afifi, was a U.S. citizen and former president of the Muslim Community Association here, before his family moved to Egypt in 2003.
    So, this guy's dad was a past president of a Muslim Brotherhood affiliated group and his lawyer works for CAIR. CAIR is an offshoot of the Islamic Association of Palestine, a group allied with and which raised funds in the US for Hamas.

Thanks

I wasn't posting it to jump on the FBI... merely to post it for informational purposes... you know, understanding how the FBI hunts down the bad guys for example.

/chuckles
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Definitely. Just wanted to point out that while it might be fun to imagine sending the Feds on a goose chase, this guy could have connections to some baddies.

Thanks

*I* would have stuck the damned thing to a FedEx truck lol
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Naw. You got us wrong. We question things - and we want to know facts...
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

I saw a better resolution picture of that and all it says is the model number (listed in the article) and the serial number. There are no "Property of FBI" markings on it.

Another option is that the FBI could go around sloppily planting these on cars (so they will be discovered) of people they want to purposefully out. This way they become "dirty" and no terrorists will trust working with them because they will know they are under surveillance.

Thanks

Honestly, if I had found something like that on my vehicle I would have sea mailed it to friends abroad with money and instructions to sea mail it back. I'd do everything in my power to keep the FBI busy and scratching their heads. That GPS would end up like a "Traveling Gnome".

Thanks

Yup. Traveling gnome.

I brought it up because I wanted you all to be aware of the techniques they use. Not that they would spy on any of US. lol

(Whatever)
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

My question, Peterle, is WHY would you do that?

I try not to get "noticed" by doing dumb things - but the FBI in the story did a dumb thing and got noticed. I'd have merely mailed the package someplace with instructions to mail it elsewhere.

Eventually they'd have gotten their toy back - but damn I don't go out of the way to piss 'em off. lol
    Libertatem Prius!

Repeatedly Redundant...Again
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peterle Matteo View Post
    I can easily put a 20,000Volts trap behind my door but i didnt.
    Remind me never to piss you off.

Thanks

Ah, so they have the same kind of bullshit artists in Italy they have in America!

They believe, because they have "Authority" that they are better than us, and always right.

My neighbor was telling me about a cop who over stepped his bounds screaming at his wife a couple years back about "You must SUBMIT TO MY AUTHORITY". She told him to go fuck himself.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

I would have posted on this subject earlier but I was busy crawling underneath our vheicles looking for unexplained items! All I found was good ole Missouri mud. Ms. Luke was not pleased with the dirty jeans and tee shirt however.

There was a story on the Kanas City news last night about the bomb squad being called to a parking garage where they found a similar GPS type tracker on a mans car. It seems his ex-girlfriend placed it there while he was in the court house getting a restraining order aginst her. I believe he was granted the request.

Evidently it is rather easy to purchase toys of this nature. Sometimes being a poor boy from the country has its benefits as I would no doubt be on even more lists if I were a rich man.

It seems certain Italians may have the infamous hillbilly humour gene. Perhaps we should start a chapter in Italy! Maybe Ricks Sis could be an ambassador!
    "Still waitin on the Judgement Day"

Thanks

lol

Sis? Are you there?

(She's on the site)

Anyway - I can put together a tracking device in a few hours.

And have you ON a map.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

It would be.

Last edited by American Patriot; October 15th, 2010 at 16:41.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Here Peterle, so you can see it works. I haven't been on the air in a few days due to work and other things.

http://aprs.fi/info/a/N0NJY-10

But that is the actual location of my station plotted on the map, using a tracking device. And actually the location is wrong now that I look at it. I didn't have the precise coordinates entered in, so the map will show me about a mile north of where I actually live.
    Last edited by American Patriot; October 15th, 2010 at 16:49.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thread Information