Page 17 of 71 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767 ... LastLast

Thread: Korean Peninsula On The Brink Of War

Thanks

Default Re: North And South Korea On The Brink Of War, Russian Diplomat Warns

I don't see what's so bloody complicated and sensitive.

China... call off your pet. Settle it down, or it gets killed. Very simple. There's nothing complicated about this, nor sensitive.

Calling the situation "highly complicated" and "sensitive", Jiang warned that inappropriate handling of the issues could tighten tensions on the peninsula, and severely harm regional peace, stability and the common interests of the region.

Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Some thing here is still fishy.

Mullen is basically standing firm, as are the South Koreans.

China is vacillating.

North Korea is quiet at the moment other than "we will destroy you" comments and the "You shelled our water!" (give me a break)

Something is wrong. I don't know what though. Anyone else have this feeling?
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Chinese official visits North Korea to show support for Pyongyang
    By Chico Harlan
    Washington Post Foreign Service
    Thursday, December 9, 2010; 9:03 AM

TOKYO - North Korean leader Kim Jong Il met Thursday in Pyongyang with a top Chinese diplomat, North Korea's official state media said, as the two countries boosted their "friendly and cooperative relations."

According to the North Korean account, Chinese State Councilor Dai Bingguo conveyed a greeting from President Hu Jintao and presented Kim with a gift, reinforcing the cozy Pyongyang-Beijing relationship that has drawn recent criticism from the United States and other nations involved in the six-party talks about North Korea's nuclear ambitions.

Since North Korea's deadly artillery attack on a South Korean island last month, top officials in Washington have described China as an enabler for Pyongyang's aggressions - providing aid but little influence, calling for peace on the Korean peninsula but rarely condemning the North's behavior.

China's Xinhua news agency described the Kim-Dai meeting as "candid," saying the two "reached consensus on bilateral relations."

A team of U.S. diplomats, led by Deputy Secretary of State James Steinberg, plans to visit China next week, in part to convey a message of concern to Beijing. "It is critically important that China continue to play a strong role making clear to North Korea that there are consequences for its actions," Steinberg said on Tuesday.

(On Wednesday, U.S. Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, urged China to use its influence over North Korea to signal disapproval of the North's activities.)

As Kim and Dai held their meeting Thursday, North Korea also issued its first detailed rationale for the Nov. 23 attack on Yeonpyeong island, questioning the disputed maritime border and claiming the water that surrounds the island as its own.

In a statement carried by the Korean Central News Agency, North Korea called the border "bogus" and said that Yeonpyeong island - where two South Korean marines and two civilians died in the shelling - is "located deep inside the territorial waters of the DPRK."

South Korea had been conducting military drills on the day of the attack. After unleashing its barrage on the island, and drawing return fire from troops stationed there, North Korea accused the South of firing first - into North-controlled waters.

That claim initially baffled South Korean officials, who noted that their military had been firing west, away from the maritime border. But Thursday, North Korea said the direction of the firing didn't matter, because after all, it controls all water around the island.

"If any live shell firing is conducted from there, shells are bound to drop inside the territorial waters of the DPRK," the North said.

A United Nations commander drew up the current maritime border, known in Seoul as the Northern Limit Line, after the Korean War in 1953. But Pyongyang does not recognize the border, saying that it was drawn up without consultation.

North Korea drew its own demarcation line 11 years ago, well south of the internationally recognized border. The disputed sea territory has since been the site of several North-South naval clashes. In March, a South Korean vessel was torpedoed near the maritime border, killing 46 people.

South Korea has control of five islands that hug the North Korean coast, including Yeonpyeong. North Korea covets the territory in part because of its rich fisheries.

Since the Yeonpyeong attack, a South Korean security commission has recommended more than doubling the marine presence on these outlying islands. South Korea's government also is seeking to provide island residents with gas masks, a measure against chemical attacks.

Visiting Yeonpyeong on Thursday, South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Han Min-koo promised to "completely crush the enemy" if North Korea attacked again.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Donaldson View Post
    Some thing here is still fishy.

Mullen is basically standing firm, as are the South Koreans.

China is vacillating.

North Korea is quiet at the moment other than "we will destroy you" comments and the "You shelled our water!" (give me a break)

Something is wrong. I don't know what though. Anyone else have this feeling?

Me too. Is the same feeling that I have before the beginning of the Iraq War in March 2003.
    Last edited by BRVoice; December 9th, 2010 at 17:48.

Thanks

This is from a blog http://www.informationdissemination.net/

Report: North Korea Developing Nuclear Sea Mines

The English language version comes courtesy of Bill Gertz in Inside the Ring. It is worth reading in full, but this is how it begins.
    U.S. intelligence agencies are working to track down an alarming report from inside North Korea revealing that the communist regime is secretly developing underwater nuclear torpedoes and mines.

According to a newsletter run by dissident North Koreans, the report states that North Korea's government has a special group of researchers at the National Defense Technology Institute that is "developing underwater weapons using nuclear warheads." The report was published Dec. 3 by the Korean-language newsletter NK Chisigan Yondae, or NK Intellectual Solidarity.

The U.S. Navy once had nuclear torpedoes and mines, as did the Soviet navy, and China's military also has discussed the use of nuclear torpedoes in its military writings as recently as 2006.
    The original report in Korean that is being discussed can be found here.

Keep in mind this is an unconfirmed report from a group of North Korean defectors. What seems to add some credibility to this new report is a "secret" Wikileaks cable dated September 26, 2008 when a Chinese diplomat told a US diplomat that North Korea failed to report "critical information about secret underwater nuclear facilities located on North Korea's coast."

The idea of nuclear sea mines is not a new idea, there are several Chinese articles that have discussed the nuclear sea mine capability over the last decade. In China's Underseas Sentries, a Winter 07 Underwater Magazine article by Andrew Erickson, Ph.D., Lyle Goldstein, Ph.D., & William Murray, the Chinese discussion is mentioned:
    Submarines have attracted particular attention as a deployment platform for rising mines. An article by Dalian Naval Academy researchers suggests significant PLAN interest in SLMMs. A researcher at Institute 705 advocates acquisition of an encapsulated torpedo mine, similar to the Cold War-era U.S. Captor mine, which could be laid in very deep waters to attack passing submarines. Mine belts—external conformal containers designed to carry and release large numbers of mines—can be fitted to submarines in order to bolster their otherwise limited payloads. One article emphasizes that the Soviet navy developed a “mine laying module capable of carrying 50 sea mines on either side of the submarine” and states, “For the past few years related PLA experts have expressed pronounced interest in submarine mine belts…. The PLA very probably has already developed submarine mine belts.” Another source notes, however, that “submarines built after World War II rarely carry mines externally.”

Disturbingly, there is some discussion of a theoretical nature in Chinese naval analyses concerning arming sea mines with tactical nuclear weapons. One such analysis, in the context of discussing Russian MIW, notes that nuclear sea mines could sink adversary nuclear submarines from a range of 2000 meters.... A second article finds that a nuclear payload is one logical method to increase the destructive power of sea mines, while a third analysis argues that nuclear MIW is especially promising for future deep-water ASW operations. It concludes: “At this time, various countries are actively researching this extremely powerful nuclear-armed sea mine.”43 An article in the July 2006 issue of Modern Navy (Dangdai Haijun), published by the PLA Navy itself, in the context of discussing potential future PLA Navy use of sea mines, also notes the potential combat value of nuclear-armed sea mines. While there is no direct evidence of the existence of such naval tactical nuclear weapons programs in China, these articles do perhaps suggest the need to closely monitor any Chinese efforts in this direction.
    The specific citations for the nuclear mine discussion are below:
    焦方金 [Jiao Fangjin], “双头鹰的水中伏兵” [The Double-Headed Eagle's Ambush at Sea], 国防科技 [Defense Science], July 2003, p. 91.
    王 伟 [Wang Wei], “历久弥新话水雷” [Enduring and Yet Fully Relevant: A Discussion of Sea Mines], 国防 [National Defense], November 2002, p. 58.
    陈冬元 [Chen Dongyuan], p. 45.
    Is North Korea a signatory of the 1971 Seabed Treaty? I don't think North Korea takes such things seriously, but use of a nuclear sea mine would be a clear violation.

In the focus of the Iranian nuclear program, I have discussed red lines that once crossed, means a military attack will likely come soon after. We have never really seen where a red line was crossed in regards to an Iranian nuclear program, but I am starting to wonder if someone in Seoul has decided North Korea has crossed that red line with the North Korean nuclear program. If so, it might help explain why the Obama administration seems to be committed to the new South Korean led strategy in dealing with North Korea, even if supporting that strategy takes the Korean Peninsula to the brink of war.

Thanks

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Chinese FM Verbally Bitchslaps ADM Mullen

When China says it this way, it means they are calling President Obama's bluff.
    China's ties with North Korea have drawn increasing criticism from the United States, and Admiral Mike Mullen, the head of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, remarked on Wednesday that he wished the Chinese would be more helpful.

"The Chinese have enormous influence over the North, influence that no other nation on earth enjoys. And yet, despite a shared interest in reducing tensions, they appear unwilling to use it," he said.

In response, the Chinese Foreign ministry questioned on Thursday what Mr Mullen had ever done "for peace and stability in the region".
    For the record, throughout most of his career ADM Mullen never spent considerable time in the Pacific, however I don't believe the Chinese Foreign ministry was attempting to make a resume review observation with the comment.

If the intention has been to pressure China and get them to reign in North Korea, it would appear that effort has not produced results. I don't believe anyone thought it would, but I do think it was worth the effort.

The question becomes - now what? I am not going to speculate in detail, but whatever it is - the risks of any action go up from here.
    Posted by Galrahn at 10:30 AM

Thanks

I agree with the above writer. The risks of action, confrontation, and even an extended war went up today. Perhaps to most it was merely perceptible, but to me it was several notches.
    Libertatem Prius!

Literary Wanderer
    Thanks

I'm more than a little curious how this situation between the Koreas, the US and China relate to the provisions of the member states of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization. North Korea is not a member state, but China is. If this thing escalates, will Russia, through the SCO be dragged into the fray on behalf of its fellow Organization member China? The SCO, afterall, is a security organization.
    Last edited by MinutemanCO; December 9th, 2010 at 19:44.

Thanks

I don't know what it is Michael. That's the issue. Usually I can see pretty clearly through the fog and figure out without too much doubt what is going on.

This time, I am not getting a clear indication from anything ANYONE is saying. Not even what our side is doing.

I think Minute Man is right... Russia WILL get dragged into this.... that's perhaps what is bothering me though, the most.

This won't be DPRK vs South Korea with the US thrown in for good measure. China will jump in, and so will eventually, Russia.

It's going to escalate quickly.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by michael2 View Post
    It is interesting from my perspective that the Korean war which began in 1950 (and in which my grandfather, a WWII vet, also fought) never ended. Perhaps the Korean 'police action' will ignite into World War Three after all....The slow fuse that was never fully put out.
    Dad was a Marine who fought there and got two purple hearts and some other medals.

He still thinks the world will end because of that place.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

China confirms report of its envoy visiting N. Korean leader
    By Kim Young-gyo

HONG KONG, Dec. 9 (Yonhap) -- The Chinese government confirmed Thursday an earlier news report that a top Chinese official has visited North Korean leader Kim Jong-il amid heightened tensions over the North's recent artillery attack on a South Korean island.

China's Xinhua news agency reported earlier Thursday that Kim met Chinese State Councilor Dai Bingguo, who made a trip to Pyongyang. The report said they "reached consensus on bilateral relations and the situation on the Korean Peninsula after candid and in-depth talks."

Jiang Yu, spokeswoman for the Chinese foreign ministry, confirmed the news during a regular press briefing but did not elaborate.

"I do not have any more detailed news to deliver," she said.

The visit came as China is under growing international pressure to exercise its influence over North Korea to discourage the belligerent regime from further provocations.

Tensions surrounding the Korean Peninsula have come to a head after North Korea fired artillery on a South Korean island near the disputed maritime border on Nov. 23. The North's attack on Yeonpyeong Island, which is home to fishing communities and military bases, killed two South Korean marines and as many civilians, and left 18 others wounded.

Dai, who advises top Chinese officials on foreign policy, made an unannounced trip to Seoul at the end of November and paid a visit to South Korean President Lee Myung-bak to discuss measures for easing tensions on the peninsula.

Next week, a high-level U.S. delegation, led by Deputy Secretary of State James Steinberg, plans to visit China to urge Beijing to play a greater role in reining in Pyongyang.

ygkim@yna.co.kr
    (END)

Where it's quiet, peaceful and everyone owns guns
    Thanks

Russia Crashes U.S. Drill With Sub-Hunting Planes

The United States and Japan were all set for a day of joint naval practice yesterday when two very uninvited and disruptive guests showed up: Russian sub-hunting planes.

The U.S. and Japanese navies were in the Sea of Japan for their biennial Keen Sword exercises in the largest U.S.-Japan defense drill to date when two Il-38 Anti-Submarine Warfare planes buzzed the assembled warships, forcing the U.S. to scramble F-15s to intercept them. The exercise was briefly postponed in order to prevent the Russian sub-hunters from snooping on the naval operations.

Russia defended its actions, saying the planes were operating legally in international waters. It’s nonetheless annoying for the U.S. and Japan — and that may be the point.

The U.S. has been beefing up military ties with East Asian partners in the wake of increasing North Korean aggression, sending the U.S.S. George Washington to drill with South Korea and inviting South Korean officers on hand to observe Keen Sword. So its fairly clear that the exercise isn’t aimed at intimidating Russia,though it dates to the cold war.
    But the Russians might not exactly see it that way. Over the last month, Russian and Japanese politicians have made dueling visits to islands claimed by both countries. Russia’s interruption of the exercise was likely intended as a reminder that it still feels a bit strongly about its claims to the disputed islands.

Trolling rivals with military aircraft has been a favorite tactic for Russia to remind folks its still a force to be reckoned with, despite its economic troubles during the 1990s. In recent years, it has buzzed U.S. aircraft carriers and the borders of its NATO rivals with bombers and fighter jets.

Russia even went for a retro Cuban missile crisis effect by threatening to send Tu-160 supersonic bombers to Cuba if the United States didn’t drop its plans for a missile shield in Eastern Europe.

But it seems like everybody wants to show their muscles in seas of East Asia these days, from China, to the U.S. to North Korea and now Russia and Japan. With all the activity, the waters in the region look they’re in danger of getting pretty warm soon.

Photo: An Il-38 buzzes the U.S.S. Midway, from Wikipedia

Nikita Khrushchev: "We will bury you"
    "Your grandchildren will live under communism."
    “You Americans are so gullible.
    No, you won’t accept
    outright, but we’ll keep feeding you small doses of
    until you’ll finally wake up and find you already have communism.

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll
    like overripe fruit into our hands."

Thanks

What to do when the shells hit Seoul

‘To prepare for war, the Park Chung Hee regime asked construction companies to build basements when putting up new buildings.’
    December 10, 2010

A few people wait for the next train at Wangsimni subway station. If a war breaks out, the station will act as a bomb shelter for up to 14,000 people.

By Shin In-seop

Like most Seoulites, Hong Jin-ah, a 27-year-old graduate student, had never given a second thought to a North Korean invasion. Despite the rogue country’s close proximity to Seoul, most people here have grown deaf to the threat it poses.

But after Pyongyang leveled Yeonpyeong Island on Nov. 23 with dozens of artillery blasts, many here are now making contingency plans.

Hong was stumped when she considered where she would go if a war broke out. She turned to her smartphone for an answer. Her search for bomb shelters in Hapjeong-dong, western Seoul, turned up nothing. Next she checked a blog called “Find a Bomb Shelter in Your Town,” which also yielded little help.

Hong then took her search to the Dasan 120 Seoul Call Center, a citywide information hotline. “I live in Hapjeong-dong. Where should I evacuate to if there is a war?” Hong asked the receptionist. The answer she received was what most people already know: Head to the nearest subway station or basement.

According to Professor Kim Jang-ho of Yonsei University’s School of Civil Engineering, the best places to duck for cover are subway stations, apartment basements, and basements of other structures - in that order.

“Subway stations are the safest places to go, since there is less danger of buildings collapsing,” said Kim. “As for the case of the twin towers on Sept. 11, the pillars holding up the floors of the World Trade Center imploded, causing floors to collapse onto each other.” Most commercial high-rise buildings in Korea employ the same structure. If the pillars lose their integrity, the whole building will collapse.

“When it comes to regular apartment buildings in Korea, the walls support the building - rather than pillars holding up the structure - so there is less danger,” Kim said.

Lee Eul-lo, left, head of Seongdong District’s Civil Defense Unit, and Kim Hyang-yong, head of Wangsimni Station, check oxygen equipment in the station’s second-floor basement.

Subway as a bomb shelter

The JoongAng Sunday checked Wangsimni Station in Seoul on Dec. 2, which serves lines No. 2 and 5. Over 73,000 passengers pass through the station every day, but only 14,000 would be able to jam into all available spaces in case of an emergency.

The station has five basement floors and has more space than City Hall Station.

The facilities in the station were in good shape. Emergency flashlights, emergency lights, communication facilities and water facilities were all well-maintained.

On the fifth basement floor, however, there were only four storage cabinets with oxygen tanks and fire extinguishers. There were only 25 gas masks that were just months away from the end of their five-year lifespan. The masks stored in a warehouse in Jamsil-dong were in worse condition. The masks, which were made in 2001 and 2002, had expired four years ago.

Kim Whan-kyun, head of the Seoul chemical, biological and radiological defense team, blames budget cuts after the government several years ago uncovered corruption and misuse of state funds meant for gas mask maintenance. “It is because the government cut funding after gas mask quality issues were brought to light,” he said.

Kim points to an emergency light that can be powered by a generator. By Shin In-seop

3,919 options

There are 25,000 emergency evacuation facilities in South Korea and 3,919 in Seoul. There are no public air-raid shelters in the capital.

“Unlike on Yeonpyeong Island, there is no need to build extra air-raid shelters in Seoul, since subway stations and basements under large buildings can act as evacuation shelters,” said Kim Hye-kyung, the Seoul civil defense attache. “In the case of air raids by North Koreans, those shelters [in Seoul] are good for two to 10 hours.”

According to the National Emergency Management Agency, there is enough space in Seoul’s underground facilities (subway stations, basements, etc.) for 2.7 times the city’s population. The agency came to the conclusion by calculating that each person would need 0.825 square meters (8.9 square feet).

“To prepare for war, the Park Chung Hee regime encouraged construction companies to build basements when putting up new buildings,” said Yoon Myung-o, professor in the University of Seoul’s Department of Architectural Engineering. “Since then, most buildings were made with basements. Now, Seoul has more underground space than any other city [in Korea].”

Seoul’s 4,000 shelters are scored on a 1-4 grading system (with 1 being the most protective shelters), which is determined by landlords and local government offices. In Seoul, there are 1,481 “grade 2” evacuation shelters - which are largely tunnels, subway stations and basements of buildings. There are 2,246 “grade 3” shelters, which are basements of commercial buildings and underground roads. There are 192 “grade 4” shelters under smaller buildings. There are no public “grade 1” shelters that can withstand a chemical, biological or nuclear attack in the capital.

According to guidelines from the National Emergency Management Agency, shelters considered “grade 1” must be equipped with enough food and water for at least two weeks, generators, and communications equipment.

For a list of the nearest underground evacuation shelters, go to
    www.safekorea.go.kr.

Look up or look down?

A general rule of thumb: Go underground to avoid artillery and conventional bombing runs, but go up as high as possible in a chemical weapons attack. In the case of a chemical attack by North Korea, the basement is the worst place to go. Instead, head to the upper floors of tall buildings since chemical gases, which are heavier than air, tend to sink to lower elevations.

Another reason not to go underground: the deeper you go, the harder it is to pick up radio signals. In the case of war, experts say communication and information are just as important as food and shelter.

Packing a “go-bag”

A go-bag is an easy-to-carry kit that’s been prepared in advance consisting of essential living items. It is common to have a go-bag for those who live in areas prone to natural disasters such as tsunamis.

It is also not a bad idea to pack a go-bag if your neighboring country is run by a tyrannical dictator who routinely threatens to turn the streets of your capital into “rivers of blood.”

So, what to pack?

Start with the essentials: Food, shelter, communication.

Pack a mylar blanket. It’s light-weight, inexpensive and can fold to fit into your pocket. Also consider a radio, whistle, pocket knife, U.S. dollars, maps, a compass, water, food, personal hygiene products, prescription medication, extra keys to your vehicle or apartment, and your ID and passport.

Check your embassy

All countries ask their citizens living abroad to register with their respective embassies.

After North Korea’s latest provocation, the Canadian Embassy’s security level in South Korea was maintained at “Exercise normal security precautions,” but Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada issued an official warning “advising against all travel to the North-Western Islands [including Yeonpyeong, Daecheong, and Baengnyeong].”

The Canadian government’s emergency phone number for citizens abroad is (613) 944-1310.

Following the Yeonpyeong attack, the American Embassy issued a warden message: “The Embassy is closely monitoring the situation.”

The American Embassy’s emergency phone number is (02) 397-4114.

The Australian Embassy warned of “very tense” relations between South and North Korea following the exchange of artillery. “We advise against travel to the Northern Limit Line Islands in the ROK,” the embassy advised on its Web site. “Australians in the ROK should continue to monitor developments closely and follow the instructions of local authorities.”

The Australian Embassy’s emergency phone number is 61-2-6261-3305.

The British Embassy advises against travel to Yeonpyeong or to the other northwest islands of Baengnyeong, Daecheong, Socheong and Woo.

The British Embassy’s emergency phone number is (02) 3210-5553.

Public safety

In a state of war, the Civil Defense Corps is activated and is responsible for keeping the peace.

The Civil Defense Corps was established in September 1975 and includes males between 20 and 40 years old. It was folded into the Civil Defense Department, which is under the National Emergency Management Agency, in 2004. There are 3.9 million reservists who could be called on to serve.

Many, however, worry about the Civil Defense Corps’ state of readiness. “Since the national civil defense system was established, it has become a target for budget cuts ... Civil defense drills have also been assessed as useless,” according to the National Emergency Management Agency.

Experts largely blame the liberal Kim Dae-jung and Roh Moo-hyun administrations for the corps’ deterioration. But even the Lee Myung-bak government, which many consider to be more pragmatic, has done nothing to repair the damage.

There are also fears that local government heads are negligent in maintaining the Civil Defense Corps. “The local government heads are afraid to give mobilization orders because they are concerned more about their popularity,” said Ahn Chul-hyun, chief of the Crisis Management Research Center.

He said local governments have failed to keep up-to-date evacuation plans on hand and have not conducted evacuation drills.

“Our civil defense system is a matter of national defense, but the fact that it was incorporated under the National Emergency Management Agency in 2004 shows how [lax we are when it comes to security],” said Lee Eul-lo, head of the Civil Defense Unit for the Seongdong District Office. “It’s a time when we value farm equipment more than we do tanks.”

By Cho Kang-su, Choi Joon-ho [estyle@joonang.co.kr]
    Last edited by BRVoice; December 10th, 2010 at 01:23.

Thanks

I saw on the twitter:

"Force Protection Condition just elevated from 'Bravo' to 'Charlie' on US installations in South Korea"

"Charlie" is second-highest level. Reader says last time "Delta" was reached was 9/11

Could anyone confirm this info?

Thanks

I have been doing double time on brain storming this whole thing.

Not sure if we are built up enough to do a conventional weapons knock out if NK moves south. Do they all know that the North is going to make another attack (it's a done deal) and that would commit the South and friends into major escalation. If the North does anything now, it's going to start and it starts with them making the first moves. They won't just sit and watch us build up for months on end either like in the desert 2003.

China and our treasuries is all I think about at this point as well. Do they not do anything militarily but dump our economy instead.

What does Russia and China do in the first hours of this?

There is alot going on here and I am not sure what is already a forgone conclusion.

Thanks

To anyone. What do you think about the statement of South Korean president about an reunification?

Thanks

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/9092...10/8072650.htm

South Korean premier says Korean reunification 'definite'

By SreeRam Banda | December 10, 2010 7:15 AM EST

South Korean prime minister, Lee Myung-bak, stated that reunification with North Korea would 'definitely' take place. His statement also comes close to Wikileaks revelations that suggested that North's biggest ally China is reportedly backing a plan for reunification. A leaked diplomatic cable sent out to Washington by US diplomats maintained that South Korean officials would press for reunification but precisely, under their control.

Lee, who is on a two-day state visit to Malaysia, said, "Reunification will definitely come." He also proposed discussion over a reunification tax expected to fetch $1 trillion dollars.

"It is obvious that North Korea now remains one of the most belligerent nations in the world. Also unequivocal is the fact that the two Koreas will have to co-exist peacefully and, in the end, realize reunification," Lee told Malaysian newspaper, The Star.

Stating that the size of the South Korean economy has grown to 38 times larger than that of North Korea since the end of Korean War, Lee maintained that open market strategy could help the impoverished North. The prime minister also stated that South Korea is responsible to ensure basic right of North's 23 million population.

"To accomplish this (reunification), the two Koreas need to pursue economic collaboration while respecting each other," he added.
    Lee's comments came after two South Korean soldiers and two civilians were killed after North Korea fired artillery shells at South Korea's Yeonpyaong Island in the Yellow Sea last month. The island located near the West Sea inter-Korean border has often been a place of military hostility between both the nations. Pyongyang and Seoul have blamed each other for setting off the artillery attacks.

US diplomatic cables leaked by whistle-blower site Wikileaks revealed senior communist leaders from China told South Korean and US diplomats that China would back reunification. The anonymous sources maintained that China would not be able to stop North Korea's collapse following the death of its leader Kim Jong-il.

"DPRK now had little value to China as a buffer state," the cable reads.
    Meanwhile, the communist North released its own report on Yeonpyaong Island shelling incident. Stating that the Yonphyong archipelago was not far from the site where South Korean patrol ship "Cheonan" sank earlier this year, it alleged that Seoul was 'crying out for seeking revenge'.

"The inter-Korean dialogues and visits which had been brisk since the adoption of the June 15 joint declaration were totally suspended and an atmosphere of reconciliation, unity and reunification rapidly got cool due to the puppet group," it said.

North Korean officials also blamed the U.S., claiming that Washington sidestepped 'DPRK's fair and aboveboard proposal' for fixing a military boundary line in the West Sea.

Close
    (Photo: REUTERS/Stringer Malaysia )
    South Korean President Lee Myung-bak inspects an honour guard during the state welcoming ceremony at the parliament square in Kuala Lumpur

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BRVoice View Post
    To anyone. What do you think about the statement of South Korean president about an reunification?
    I think it's pretty consistant with national desires ever since armasict. Just how and when it will happen has always been the question. It's now looking sooner rather than later.

Thanks

I saw on the twitter:

"Force Protection Condition just elevated from 'Bravo' to 'Charlie' on US installations in South Korea"

"Charlie" is second-highest level. Reader says last time "Delta" was reached was 9/11

Could anyone confirm this info?
    Almost.... depending on your point of view. The following is "out of my head".

Alpha is All Normal.

Bravo is the second highest level.

Charlie is "Attack imminent".

Delta is "Under Attack"

These are called FP Cons (Force Protection Conditions).

Out of Wikipedia:

• FPCON NORMAL describes a situation of no current terrorist activity. The only security forces needed are enough to stop the everyday criminal, similar to civilian police forces.

• FPCON ALPHA describes a situation where there is a small and general terrorist activity that is not predictable. However, agencies will inform personnel that there is a possible threat and standard security procedure review is conducted.

• FPCON BRAVO describes a situation with somewhat predictable terrorist threat. Security measures taken by agency personnel may affect the activities of local law enforcement and the general public.

• FPCON CHARLIE describes a situation when an instance occurs or when intelligence reports that there is terrorist activity imminent.

• FPCON DELTA describes a situation when a terrorist attack is taking place or has just occurred. FPCON DELTA usually occurs only in the areas that are most vulnerable to or have been attacked. One example is the September 11, 2001 Attacks.

For the record these do NOT apply to "Terrorist" attacks. These apply to the general, overall condition personnel on the base can expect.

Under Delta we do not leave our facilities.

We were under Delta for a short time on 9-11, but we went to FP Con Charlie for most of the day here at my work, as an example.

If a weapon were detonated in the United States, or an EMP hit, we would immediately be at Delta - and they would probably not allow us to leave (thereby killing everyone on the site if we're hit with a nuke)
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Both sides want reunification - however, both sides want it on THEIR terms.

South wants the whole country to come under their control.

North wants the whole country to come under their control.

Two completely opposing viewpoints.

To push reunification is to push for a war.

Period.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thread Information