Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Atlas Shrugged Movie to Begin Filming

Thanks

Default Atlas Shrugged Movie to Begin Filming

Now lets hope they don't stuff the cast full of Leftists that would do just what the looters do.
    ---------
    http://www.atlassociety.org/cth-13-2...5_29_2010.aspx

John Aglialoro has gone public with his latest project to film Atlas Shrugged: an independent production set to begin filming June 11. Aglialoro decided to go forward on his own after the latest venture with Lionsgate Studios collapsed early this year.
    After 17 years of working with major studios, only to see projects peter out from studio delay, unworkable scripts, and balky stars, Aglialoro has taken the entrepreneurial helm. Working with screenwriter Brian Patrick O’Toole,he has completed a script covering the first part of Rand’s novel (through the run of the John Galt Line and its aftermath).
    Aglialoro expects the film to be released by the first quarter of 2011. He currently projects a three-movie sequence, following the structure of the novel. He has engaged Paul Johansson as director. Locations have been booked and casting is nearly complete.
    “There’s obviously a lot of risk in doing it this,” says Aglialoro, head of Cybex, the exercise-equipment company, and a trustee of The Atlas Society. “But taking risks for something you believe in—that’s what Atlas is all about. The strength of the project is what it’s always been: the power of Ayn Rand’s novel.”
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Repeatedly Redundant...Again
    Thanks

Default Re: Atlas Shrugged Movie to Begin Filming

I'm only to the part where the tobacco-guru said, 'those cigarettes are not from earth.'

I really can't see any way the movie can incorporate the vast expanse of the book.

I will watch it though - after I finish the book.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Backstop View Post
    I'm only to the part where the tobacco-guru said, 'those cigarettes are not from earth.'

I really can't see any way the movie can incorporate the vast expanse of the book.

I will watch it though - after I finish the book.
    The smokes with the $ on the sleeve was a very big clue. heh.

There is no way to incorporate the book. Vast swaths of the book have to be left out unless they truly do it as a 3 part trilogy.

The problem I see is that there's no good delineation for 3 parts except how she did it in the book. My problem with that is that there are no earth shattering events at the end of books one and two and there's Galt's speech in part 3. You could do a Ken Burns 5 part documentary on that speech.(I read the first 10 pages and skipped ahead 50).
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

A few of the very rich industrialists have already disappeared.

When I read that statement by the tobacco guru, the first thought I had was: Cool!! They all went to another planet.

No spoilers, please.

Are saying Galt's speech was 50 pages?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Backstop View Post

Are saying Galt's speech was 50 pages?
    73 if I recall correctly. That in and of itself is a summary of Ayn Rand's philosphy of Objectivism.

No I didn't read it all. It's a recap of pretty much everything in the book up to that point. I'm reading it, going "alright already, we GET IT, GEEZUS!"
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

HAHA!

I'm kinda disappointed in that Rand focused a lot on the affair between Reardon and Dagny.

It's seems to be a major part of the plot. Maybe later on the need for her to keep mentioning it will be apparent.

Guess I "got it" like you "got" Galt's speech; enough already!

Thanks

This book as been in the movie pipeline for decades. Last I heard Pitt and Jolie were going to play Reardon and Taggart.

My favorite speech was by Francisco, it was about greed and I believe it took place at the party.

Thanks

Crap - can't remember where, but I read there will be 3 movies made - 1 for each part of AS.

That may make things much better.

Thanks

http://www.AtlasShruggedPart1.com/

Opens April 15. I did a little background check and I'm not really looking forward to this anymore. I have heard of none of these actors or the director. How do you take a bunch of no names and make a trilogy? This has fail written all over it. I could he wrong, I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

One of the greatest, most epic American novels of all time and the director of one of the most highly anticipated film adaptations of all time is, wait for it, Paul Joseph Otto Johansson. And because the role of Dagny Taggart can't be left to some nobody starlet, in a brilliant move they have cast Taylor Schilling, who according to Wikipedia, has been plying her trade since 2007.

No news of a movie budget but I did read principal photography wrapped with a cost of 5 million. Really breaking the bank here. This whole effort stinks of straight to video. Sigh.

Thanks

Last edited by Backstop; March 26th, 2011 at 00:13.

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks

I know some of you guys don't care what the critics think but they are panning this movie bigtime. I've read several reviews, none of them good.

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

You said it cat! Normally I pay the critics very little attention in the first place and I am even less inclined to for a film with a clearly conservative message.

Rotten Tomatoes has it at an 85% audience rating.

Thanks

Everyone who's seen it, says it is good...but you have to expect that. These are people that know what the message is before they go.

That means, I'll probably like it.
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

That's the rub. It seems most reviews appear to be written by people of liberal backgrounds, predestined to hate it. On the other hand, people familiar with the book are going in predestined to like it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catfish View Post
    That's the rub. It seems most reviews appear to be written by people of liberal backgrounds, predestined to hate it. On the other hand, people familiar with the book are going in predestined to like it.
    Ya THINK? LOL
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

I started reading the book... probably about a year ago. Stopped and said "I'll wait for the movie".

Guess I got my wish. lol
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

What I got from the reviews on another Board, the character development in the movie is sorely lacking compared to the book.

And it's really important to the overall story.

Do yourself a favor, and read the book.

Thanks

/sigh

LOL

Ok, I'll TRY. I think it is on my kindle. If not, it's on my computer, and I can download it here from feedbooks I think
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Get a real book, ya darn geek!

Thread Information