Thread: 2008 Military Spend Hits Record On Iraq, Russia, China - Study

Thanks

Default 2008 Military Spend Hits Record On Iraq, Russia, China - Study

I am not sure if this should go in The World at War, because this is not really about war but the spending on military throughout the world:

2008 Military Spend Hits Record On Iraq, Russia, China - Study6-8-09 5:55 AM EDT | E-mail Article | Print Article
    STOCKHOLM (AFP)--World military spending hit a new record in 2008, boosted by the Iraq war, the return of Russia as a global player and the emergence of China, a Swedish think tank said in its annual report Monday.

World arms expenditure totalled $1.464 trillion last year, a rise of 45% from a decade ago and representing 2.4% of global gross domestic product, or $217 for every person on the planet, the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute or SIPRI, said.

Compared with 2007, the figure rose 4.0% in real terms.
    "The introduction of the idea of 'the war on terrorism' has encouraged several countries to see their problems from a very militarized perspective, and is used to justify high military spending," Sam Perlo-Freeman, the main author of SIPRI's report on military expenditure, said in a statement.
    "At the same time, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have cost an extra $903 billion in increased military spending for the U.S. alone," he said.

The U.S. is, as expected, by far the world's biggest arms spender, according to the think tank. It represented almost 42% of the 2008 total, more than the 14 other top countries combined in what SIPRI described as a legacy from former president
    George W. Bush.

Since 1999, U.S. defense spending has soared 67% in real terms to $607 billion last year.
    China, which like Russia has almost tripled its military expenditure in the past 10 years, was for the first time the world's second-biggest arms spender in 2008. SIPRI estimated its spending at $84.9 billion, which accounted for 6% of the global total. That would put it ahead of France and the U.K., which each accounted for 4.5%.
    "China's increase has roughly paralleled its economic growth and is also linked to its major power aspirations," SIPRI said.
    Russia, like China, took advantage of the recent years' economic boom prior to the global crisis to reassert its superpower ambitions, returning to fifth position on SIPRI's list in 2008 after a decline in the post-Cold War period.
    Meanwhile, military spending in South America soared 50% in 2008 over the previous decade, "led by Brazil's long-term push for regional power status and Colombia's escalating spending related to its internal conflict," the think tank wrote.
    Among the top 15 biggest spenders, only Germany and Japan have decreased their arms spending since 1999, with drops of 11% and 1.7% respectively last year.
    At the other end of the line, the 100 biggest weapons manufacturers registered total sales of $347 billion in 2007, an increase of 5% in real terms from 2006, according to the most recent statistics compiled by SIPRI and presented in its annual yearbook.
    That list is topped by U.S. company Boeing Co. (BA), ahead of Britain's BAE Systems (BA.LN) and U.S. group Lockheed Martin Corp. (LMT).
    Western companies dominate the ranking, with 44 from the U.S. and 32 from Western Europe.
    SIPRI said the companies that registered the sharpest increases were manufacturers of armored tanks, in strong demand in Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as companies that subcontract their services to militaries.

(END) Dow Jones Newswires 06-08-090555ET Copyright (c) 2009 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
    http://news.morningstar.com/newsnet/...00168_univ.xml
    Beetle - Give me liberty or give me something to aim at.

A monster lies in wait for me
    A stew of pain and misery
    But feircer still in life and limb
    the me that lays in wait for him

Hey liberal!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You can't handle the truth!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Default Re: 2008 Military Spend Hits Record On Iraq, Russia, China - Study

They mentioned Brazil and Columbian spending, but did not say anything about Hugo's spending. This surprises me because I have heard he is building quite a military down there.
    Beetle - Give me liberty or give me something to aim at.

A monster lies in wait for me
    A stew of pain and misery
    But feircer still in life and limb
    the me that lays in wait for him

Hey liberal!

You can't handle the truth!

Thread Information