Thread: Even More Evidence Hollywood Is Out Of Fresh Material!

Hybrid View

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Even More Evidence Hollywood Is Out Of Fresh Material!

Fox is bringing back The A-Team and now CBS is bringing back MacGyver.

CBS Rebooting 'MacGyver' For TV

October 4, 2015

The '80s reboots continue.

Following word that 20th Century Fox Television is rebooting "The A-Team," CBS is bringing MacGyver back to the small screen, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Based on the Richard Dean Anderson starrer that ran for seven seasons on ABC, the CBS take is described as a reimagining of the television series of the same name, following a 20-something MacGyver as he gets recruited into a clandestine organization where he uses his knack for solving problems in unconventional ways to help prevent disasters from happening.

"NCIS: Los Angeles'" R. Scott Gemmill will pen the script and executive produce the CBS Television Studios drama while staying on board the CBS procedural. Henry Winkler, who exec produced the original series, is on board to serve in the same capacity alongside James Wan's Atomic Monster head of production Michael Clear. Wan ("Aquaman," "Mortal Kombat," "Saw") will exec produce and direct the potential pilot and would segue into TV with the project. CBS is keeping mum on how large of a commitment the new "MacGyver" is, but the network and CBSTVS are said to be very high on bringing back a title from the studio's library. Though sources tell THR that the network handed out a hefty put-pilot commitment.

The original series ran for seven seasons and 139 episodes, spanning two TV movies on ABC in 1994. Producers Paramount Television attempted a spin-off series, "Young MacGyver" — starring "Supernatural" star Jared Padalecki — but that did not move forward.

For his part, Wan was attached to direct New Line's long-planned "MacGyver" movie in 2012.

The news comes as reboots of film and TV franchises continue to be in high demand. Fox also on Friday announced that it was rebooting "Lethal Weapon" for TV. That joins a rapidly growing list of reboots in the works as broadcast networks look for intellectual property with built-in brand recognition in a bid to cut through an original scripted landscape that features more than 400 series.

Fox is readying "Behind Enemy Lines"; "Training Day" is in the works at CBS; The CW is prepping "The Notebook" and "Friday the 13th"; and studio 20th Century Fox Television is shopping a reboot of "The A-Team," while Norman Lear is rebooting "One Day at a Time," though there is no network yet attached. For its part, Fox has revivals of "The X-Files" and "Prison Break" in the works after recently rebooting "24."

This season's reboots and revivals have debuted to mixed reactions. Fox's "Minority Report" has faltered in its early episodes; NBC's "Heroes" had a modest debut, while and CBS has found early success with Bradley Cooper's "Limitless" follow-up. Additional revival series based on "Rush Hour" (CBS) and "Uncle Buck" (ABC) are due later this season.

My God, when will it stop?!?!

Since the networks are just re-doing everything from the 1980s, how far off are we from an Alf relaunch?

Seriously though, a new A-Team might work given the recent movies but MacGyver?

I suppose at the least I'll give them a watch to see just how cringe-worthy they end up being.

And if we're rebooting everything 1980s, can we get a decent Miami Vice series? You could even bring back the original cast!

I just saw Don Johnson on his new TV show (Blood and Oil, meh) and he could pull it off since he's aging well. Edward James Olmos is still kicking on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Michael Talbot is an NRA spokesman and hasn't aged too badly either. No idea what Phillip Michael Thomas, Saundra Santiago, or Olivia Brown are up to though judging from Ms. Santiago's IMDB pics she's holding up quite well indeed!

Thanks

Default Re: Even More Evidence Hollywood Is Out Of Fresh Material!

Had an article to post about another reboot.

That said, MacGyver is indeed as bad as I thought it would be. Doubt it's going to be on the air much longer.

I think what annoys me most is how the producers feel the need to annotate on screen every time Mac is making some gizmo or gadget and why. I assume it's because they, likely correctly, figure most people aren't smart enough to figure out why he's doing what he's doing but, to those of us are and probably make up the bulk of the viewership, it's insulting.

Anyway, here's the newest reboot being tossed around...

Rambo Reboot Movie in the Works with Ariel Vroman Directing

October 28, 2016

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Nu Image/Millennium Films is planning a Rambo reboot movie with Israeli helmer Ariel Vroman (The Iceman, Criminal) behind the camera and Brooks McLaren penning the script.

The aim of the new film is to recast the role created in David Morrell’s 1972 novel “First Blood” and popularized in the four films starring Sylvester Stallone. This reboot would continue the character’s adventures with a new leading man, although they have not said whether they plan to keep the film oriented towards a Vietnam vet with a period setting or to contemporize him against the backdrop of the Iraq or Afghanistan conflicts.

Stallone himself spent a few years after 2008’s fourth Rambo contemplating a Rambo V, although he stated to Variety last year that he has abandoned such a prospect.

“The heart’s willing, but the body says, ‘Stay home!’” Stallone said. “It’s like fighters that go back for one last round and get clobbered. Leave it to someone else.”

The actor also dumped on a proposed “Rambo: New Blood” TV series at FOX, which would revolve around the character’s heretofore unseen son.

“I don’t want to cast aspersions,” Stallone says, “but it’s delicate to try to replace a character with his son. I’ve seen the son of Flicka, the son of Tarzan, the son of King Kong. It’s a very difficult premise.”

It is unknown if that TV series has already been thrown on the backburner, although no new movement has been reported since its announcement.

Thanks

I watched one episode of McGuyver. It stinks.

It also raises yet another TV Trope. The hot young woman is a super hacker. BZZZTT, Wrong, try again dumbass.

There are no hot, young, super hackers. Ever. None exist. Anywhere. It is a skill that can only be organically learned by time spent in isolation. If you are hot, you will be hounded by men. Ergo, the two traits cannot co-exist.

Also, it takes many many years to learn those skills. All the "Real" hackers are 30+. There may be an exception, but it's exceedingly rare.

Other than that, the show was just dumb.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Too true about the hacker chick.

It could have been decent but they just made it goofy.

Thanks

Thanks

‘Magnum P.I.’: Jay Hernandez Cast As Thomas Magnum In CBS’ Reboot Pilot

February 20, 2018

Jay Hernandez has been tapped to play Thomas Magnum, the lead in CBS’ drama pilot Magnum P.I.

CBS had been looking to add a twist to the classic character played by Tom Selleck in the original series, which had been conceived as diverse in the reboot, with the network setting out to find a non-white actor for the role.

The Magnum P.I. pilot, from Peter Lenkov, Davis Entertainment, CBS TV Studios and Universal TV Studios, was co-written by Lenkov and Eric Guggenheim, with Justin Lin set to direct.

The reboot follows Thomas Magnum (Hernandez), a decorated ex-Navy SEAL who, upon returning home from Afghanistan, repurposes his military skills to become a private investigator. With help from fellow vets Theodore “TC” Calvin and Orville “Rick” Wright, as well as that of disavowed former MI:6 agent Juliet Higgins, Magnum takes on the cases no one else will, helping those who have no one else to turn to.

Lenkov and Guggenheim executive produce with John Davis and John Fox of Davis Entertainment as well as Lin and Danielle Woodrow via Lin’s Perfect Storm Entertainment.

Landing Hernandez is a get for CBS as casting the role was challenging because the series is slated to film in Hawaii. Hernandez recently co-starred in the hit features Suicide Squad, Bad Moms and sequel A Bad Moms Christmas, along with Netflix’s Bright. He also recurred on the ABC series Scandal.

Hernandez is repped by ICM Partners, Alchemy Entertainment and Fuller Law.

Thread Information